Keep Your Kidneys Healthy
- Drink lots of water - Water helps in detoxifying the body and flushes out toxins. It is also one of the simplest ways to keep the kidneys clean. It dilutes the minerals that can cause harm and helps in their excretion. Drinking water with baking soda may help in relieving discomfort caused due to infections in the urinary tract. If you have stones in the kidneys, you should drink at least 3 liters of water daily.
- Have less salt, sugar and soy - The sodium in salt increases the calcium content in the body which has a negative effect on the kidneys. Excess calcium in the body may lead to the formation of stones. Similarly, too much sugar absorbs more calcium and magnesium which also contributes to kidney stones. Soy and soy-related products may have a high content of oxalate that can be harmful for the kidneys.
- Have a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar early morning - Apple cider vinegar is known for its antioxidant properties that fight oxidative stress and it also helps in controlling your blood pressure and sugar levels in the body.
- Regular Exercise - Exercise is good for you as it keeps the heart healthy, burns unwanted fat and helps with the flow of blood to other organs which includes the kidneys. It’s important to eat healthy, drink healthy and maintain a healthy body weight for your kidneys to be able to function well.
- Eat green vegetables and avoid meat - The minerals present in green vegetables reduce the oxalate levels in the body that can have a damaging effect on your kidney. One should also avoid consuming too much meat and shellfish as they may contain harmful uric acid that can affect the functioning of the kidneys.