- Chakka Varatti /Jack fruit Jam : 2 cup packed or Chakka Chola /Ripe Jackfruit Flesh : 30-40 flesh (de seeded) or Canned Jack fruit : 2 tins /500 gram each
- Jaggery /Sharkkara : 5-6 blocks /500 grams or to taste
- Thin Coconut milk -3rd extract /Monnampal : 1 cup
- Semi Thick Coconut milk – 2nd extract /Randaampal : 1cup
- Thick Coconut milk – 1st extract /Onnampaal : 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder /Elakka Podi : 1/4 tsp
- Dry ginger powder /Chukku Podi : 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder /Jeeraka Podi : 1/4 tsp
- Coconut Pieces (cut into very small bits) /Thengakothu : 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts : 10-15 nos
- Raisins /Unakka Mundhiri : 1 tbsp
- Ghee /Clarified Butter : 2 tbsp or as required
How to Make Coconut Milk
Take a 1 1/2 fresh coconut, grate it finely. In a blender or food processor, add the grated coconut with1 cup of hot water and process for a minute, then squeeze it for milk. This gives you 1cup thick milk.
Return coconut to processor and add 2 cup hot water and process for couple of minutes and squeeze it for milk in separate bowl. This gives you 1cup thin milk.
Buy 1 (400ml) can of thick coconut milk, shake well and pour 1/2 contents in a bowl and mix with 1 cup er (i.e. same quantity of water). Remaining milk in can is thick milk.
Mix 25 g instant coconut milk powder with 200 ml water for thin coconut milk.
Mix 25 g instant coconut milk powder with 100 ml water for thick coconut milk.
Preparation for Chakka Pradhaman
If your using chakka chola/Jackfruit flesh or canned jackfruit, then chop them into small pieces and pressure cook the chopped jackfruit pieces with one and half cup of water for 6-8 whistles or cook until soft (takes about 20 minutes).
Ground this cooked jackfruit in a mixer grinder to a paste or slightly mash it using a wooden spoon.
Meanwhile heat the third milk in a wide mouthed heavy bottomed pan or uruli (nonstick woks can also be substitute) and melt the jaggery in it.Strain the solution to remove fine sand particles and reheat the same.
Add the chakka varatti and reduce the fire to low; keep stirring to dissolve and boil until the mixture thickens.(Note : If your using chakka varatti or cooked chakka paste then it will melt in the coconut milk).
Add the second milk and boil again stirring continuously for about 8 – 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Finally add the first milk and cook for couple of minutes and switch off the flame. Keep stirring until the milk is incorporated.
Add the dry ginger powder /chukku podi, cardamom powder, cumin powder.
Heat the ghee in a small pan; first fry the coconut pieces until brown and drain on to a paper towel and set aside. Fry the raisins until plump and drain. Add in the cashews and fry until golden brown.
Pour the fried coconut pieces, cashews, raisins over the pradhaman /payasam. Cover with a lid for 10-15 minutes.
Delicious Pradhaman /Payasam is ready to serve. Serve hot or chilled as you wish and Enjoy!!