- Refreshing Citrus Drinks(നാരങ്ങ നീര്) – Citrus fruits can not only energise and refresh your body but they also contain good amounts of Vitamin C, which aid in fighting seasonal allergies by boosting your immune system. So make sure you include these fruits in your daily diet.
- Red Onion Water(ചുവന്ന ഉള്ളി വെള്ളം) - Onions contain a water soluble chemical compound called quercetin, which is known to reduce the amount of histamine produced by the body, therefore reducing symptoms of allergies. Onion is nature’s version of an anti-histamine. Quercetin also acts as a bronchodilator, opening up airways and helping you breathe easier.
- Apples and Walnuts(ആപ്പിളും വാൽനട്ട്സും) - Walnuts are a daily snack that you can enjoy to help ease allergy symptoms. Being high in magnesium content, they help curb down wheezing or coughing. Their vitamin E content can boost immunity and protect the body from reacting to allergens. Apples, like onions, contain quercetin, and naturally reduce the production of histamine. Several studies have confirmed that an apple a day really does keep allergies at bay.
- Hot and Spicy Food - Hot and spicy food tends to make the mucus secretion in your nose thin down, thus making the nose cleaner and clearer. This enables you to breathe more efficiently.
- Nettle-Peppermint Tea - This tea helps in lowering blood pressure, relieving arthritis, and fighting seasonal allergies. Peppermint contains a type of flavonoid called luteolin-7-O-rutinoside, which helps inhibit the activity and secretion of anti-inflammatory enzymes, such as histamines, and reduce the dreadful discomfort that comes along with them.
Some Tips To Save Yourself from Allergies
1. Avoid opening the window as allergens will fly into your house and settle on everything.
2. The line drying your clothes can contribute to allergies as pollens stick to it and consequently stick to your clothes and you.
3. At the end of the day, take a shower with cold water. It will rinse away any pollen stuck on your hair or the skin.