- Small onion - 20 nos (sliced)
- Garlic (optional) - 6 (sliced)
- Tamarind paste - 3 tsp (or Tamarind - lemon sized ball)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
To Roast and Grind
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Coriander Seeds - 2 tbsp (or 1 tbsp of Coriander Powder)
- Dry Red Chilies - 10 (or 2 tsp of Red Chili Powder)
- Curry Leaves - 10
- Coconut Oil - 2-3 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dry Red Chilies - 2
- Curry Leaves - few
In a pan, fry the grated coconut along with the coriander seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves on medium low heat. Keep stirring constantly till it becomes golden brown. Keep it aside to cool.
On another pot pour 3 tbsp of oil. Pop the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Fry some dried red chilies and curry leaves.
Put the sliced small onions. Add some turmeric powder and keep roasting till it turns golden brown.
Meantime grind the roasted coconut mixture into fine paste adding very little water.
Put that paste with the sauteed onion. Also add the tamarind paste or tamarind extract.
Pour water to adjust the consistency of the gravy. Add salt and make it to boil.
Simmer the flame and cover with a lid. Cook for another 10 minutes till oil floats on top.